Franciscan University was born on
December 10, 1946, a product of the optimism in the country that accompanied
victory in World War II. Indeed, most members of the first class were veterans
of the war and were making use of the GI Bill to pay for their education. The
school in which the 258 students (including seven women) enrolled was known
officially as the College of Steubenville, and its origins were distinctly
humble. Bishop John King Mussio, recently installed in 1945 as the first
bishop of Steubenville, decided that the time was right for a Catholic college
in that region of Ohio.
In just over 60 years, Franciscan University of Steubenvlle
has emerged as a leader in academically excellent and passionately Catholic
education. By integrating faith and reason in the pursuit of truth and
right living, the University has grown from a small facility serving local
veterans of World War II to a beautiful hillside campus and an educational
institution recognized nationally and internationally for its programs,
faculty, and graduates (Photo courtesy of Graule Studious).